cannot toggle from GUI to text console

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Dec 1 01:22:09 UTC 2005

Radu Borsaru wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I installed Fedora C4.
>After starting the box and X, if I want to access the text console
>(Ctrl-Alt-F1..6) the monitor just blanks and shows nothing.
>I can go back to graphics console and everything is fine there.
>If I start the box in level 3 the text console are fine but again if I
>do a startx, the GUI will start and I cannot move to text console
>anymore.
>I have a Acer AL1511 15' LCD and Intel 845 video card.
>
>Can someone suggest anything?
>
>Thank you,
>Radu B.

Apply the updates for FC4. This problem was present when the discs were
burned for FC4. The newer versions of X work fine with Intel chipsets
that I have tried. (865G and 815). Your 845 ought to work for terminals
after applying the updates.

The problem was with a bug in GCC for optimized compilations. It was
fixed and so were programs which were recompiled with the newer and
debugged GCC compiler.

Jim

--
Fundamentally, there may be no basis for anything.