Tape drive

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Dec 1 04:11:08 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 23:52 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> Matt Morgan wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a tape drive that meets these requirements?
> >
> > 1) easy to get working in Fedora Core 3 & 4
> > 2) reliable
> > 3) works fine with Amanda
> > 4) stores 200+ Gb on a tape or single set of tapes
> >
> > If it's easy and obvious how to eject and insert tapes, that's a plus,
> > since this is going to be in a location without any real techies.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> I would expect any SCSI drive to work. Choose your vendors and ask them:
> in this market they're well aware of Linux. Even Dell.
>
> Once you have some candidates, then ask here (and maybe nahant, where
> they take their computing more seriously:-))
----
I'm not so sure that nahant list takes computing more seriously, the
price of entry ensures that the list is mostly of admins whereas Fedora
has a lot of Linux newbies.

I heavily recommend LTO technology. LTO 100 would store 100Gb
uncompressed and amanda certainly works better if you use it without
hardware compression. LTO 200 is 200Gb uncompressed.

You should also check out 'bacula' for backup as amanda is clearly not
usable for 'location without any real techies'

As John suggests, SCSI tape drives will pretty much work out of the box
with most software. IDE tape drives will certainly cause more setup
grief.

Craig