ReiserFS & EXT2/3 issues

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 08:38:36 UTC 2005

Mike McGrath wrote:
> I use reiserfs and love it.  I wish RedHat would be more open to using
> it, not even including it in the install seems a bit much to me.  Though
> I think you can install with reiserfs if you do a linux reiserfs while
> booting from the CD, I haven't tested it.

The problem is "how many questions do you want there to be in the
install?"

A lot of the work going into Fedora (and desktop Linux in general) is
aimed at making it much easier for "non-techies", for want of a better
word, to use. The idea is that some questions are inevitable, but they
should be things that only the user can be expected to know (like their
name and which ISP they're using).

Questions (or options) that relate to the way the *internals* of the
machine behave mean new users will be asked to think about something
they're not familiar with (so they'll think the install is hard). Note
that documentation isn't the answer: it enables them to answer
questions, it can't make the Right Answer immediately obvious.

I'm sorry that the Original Poster had problems with his ext3
installation (did he change the way it was listed in /etc/fstab?) I've
heard of very few problems with ext3 (and about as many with reiserfs),
and many of them turned out to be "pilot error".

For most users, it's simpler for Fedora to make the choice for them.

James.
--
E-mail address: james | I suppose if one has to go mad, slowly is the way to
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | go. You wouldn't want to rush going mad, you might