more problems playing audio CDs on FC4

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Dec 1 11:16:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 08:05 -0800, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> I'm still having problems playing audio CDs with a KDE desktop running
> on a Pentium 4.  The system recognizes my "soundcard" which is on the
> motherboard rather than in a slot.

What type of card.  Some aren't compatible.  ISA cards aren't always too
brilliant.

> (2) I'm getting noise that sounds like static when I play a CD.  The
> problem is not the speakers since I get the same interference when I
> plug in headphones instead.  Also, this problem does not occur when I
> boot Windows XP on the same machine and play the same CD using Windows
> Media Player or iTunes.  The static (which sounds like something on a
> cheap radio) stops during gaps between songs so I've assumed it has
> something to do with the volume settings.

If it didn't work on either, I'd have said a bad sound card.  But
perhaps it's drivers that aren't very good.  There's also a chance that
your CD-ROM and it aren't that compatible, if other things play sound
fine.

I read messages from the public lists.