theoretical question - can root's username be changed?

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Fri Dec 2 02:50:15 UTC 2005

On Thu December 1 2005 9:42 pm, V P wrote:
> On 12/2/05, Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
> > Subject line says it all...
>
> I just tried changing the name in /etc/passwd . The system came back
> up on restart and normal users were able to login and do their normal
> stuff, but "su -" failed saying "User root does not exist". Also,
> su-ing the renamed root, admin by "su - admin" didn't work. It didn't
> accept the passwd originally set for root. Probably the the name has
> to be changed in /etc/shadow too. Rebooting into single user mode and
> reverting the changes brought back the system to the initial state.
> The test system was RHEL3AS.
>
> But mikes solution to having a user with root authority is a better
> solution to whatever you are trying to acheive.

I'm not really trying to achieve anything. I'm just curious, and couldn't
readily find the answer. I was hoping to spark a more interesting discussion
than endless dribble about a hapless user from Brazil. And I do appreciate
the responses, so far, and the time you took to experiment - I was a little
worried about trying what you just did.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA