theoretical question - can root's username be changed?

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Fri Dec 2 18:52:48 UTC 2005

On Friday 02 December 2005 11:15 am, Guy Fraser wrote:
>  don't remember for sure, but I seem to recall the Bastille
> system hardening package changed root to something else and
> gave root limited privileges. You may want to look it up
> and read some of the documentation.

My query sparked quite a discussion. At this point, though I could go on and
on with the questions, I actually would rather not. It's good to dig for the
answers for one's self. You have all given me a much better insight into how
certain things work, and pointed me in directions for further reading. As to
trying it out, I think the suggestion a fine one, and the next time I have a
box I can use for such experimentation, I'll try just that. That actually
happens frequently around here, so I'll post any interesting results I get,
but, that may not happen for awhile.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA