Getting a text file rid of all superfluous blank lines

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 2 19:59:14 UTC 2005

Paul Smith wrote:
> On 12/1/05, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>>So many ways of solving my problem show that this list is quite creative!
>>
>>Do you have gcc installed on your system?
>

> Yes, I do. Should I run
>
> gcc noblank.c
>
> ?
>
> (I am not a programmer and I have never used gcc.)
>
> Paul

I sent you the source. Extract it to a file named noblank.c
I suspect you have already done that.
Ok, now build the program...

$ gcc -o noblank noblank.c

After this runs (takes no more than 10 seconds), you will
have a program named "noblank" in the current directory.
Either move it to a place in your path, or use ./noblank
to run it. The usage is:

$ noblank < input_file > output_file

IOW, it runs as a filter, and may be used in a pipe like
this:

$ program_producing_output | noblank > processed_file

Or even

$ program_producing_output | noblank | program_consuming_input

Note that I typed it in, and ran a few test cases, but I
don't guarantee that it does exactly what you want.
If it doesn't, let me know, and we'll work together
to make it do exactly what you want.

If this seems like too much work, let me know, and I'll
send you a compiled version. I just thought that posting
source was better because then you could be assured that
you weren't getting malware. Since the source is there
for all to see, anyone who spots some evil stuff in it
would pipe up.

In fact, I'll send you a compiled version under separate
cover, which if you wish, you may use.

I don't warantee it, except to claim that
it is indeed the compiled version of what I sent you.

HTH

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.