Automatic email relay agent?

Hongwei Li hongwei at wustl.edu
Fri Dec 2 21:45:25 UTC 2005

> Am Do, den 01.12.2005 schrieb Hongwei Li um 23:07:
>
>> > http://www.cs.wisc.edu/csl/old-doc/info/smtp-auth/

> The Norton Antivirus application which is a desktop application AFAIK
> does not distinguish between the ports. But maybe that changed
> meanwhile. Just test it.
>
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=submission, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl
>
> in sendmail.mc enables the submission agent with authentication
> enforcement. I guess you have
>
> FEATURE(`no_default_msa',`dnl')dnl
>
> set - recommended - and thus the normal (not requiring auth) MSA
> disabled. Setting the DAEMON_OPTIONS for the MSA be sure you have too
>
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Name=MTA')dnl
>
> set - either this way or when restricting to specific IP, then several
> lines of that with IP specification where 1 is for 127.0.0.1.
>
> Alexander

After adding:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Name=MTA')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=submission, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl

in sendmail.mc, run m4 and restart sendmail, I tested OE and Outlook (set
outgoing port 587 and use ssl connection) in many different ways on different
computers.  I found that with Norton Antivirus enabled, Outlook (my version is
2003) works well, but OE (version 6) does not work -- cannot send emails out,
no matter pop3 or imap is used in OE or Outlook.   Any more idea or
suggestion?

Thanks!

Hongwei