Read/write access on nfs mounted file systems (corrected subject line)

Bill Perkins perk at iag.net
Sat Dec 3 04:29:15 UTC 2005

Dr. Peter Bladon wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> My apologies for my previous posting where the subject line was
> meaningless!!
>
> I have a problem in that some of the file systems that I wish to mount
> via nfs will not do so with write permissions set.
>
> I have acquired 4 (substantially) identical machines that I intend to
> use as a cluster (using gigabit ethernet), and also have linked to my
> other Unix (IRIX) machines (using 100Mbit ethernet).
>
> The basic configuration of the new machines is:
>  AMD64 Athlon/1Gbyte RAM/80Gbyte disk/Gigabit ethernet/.
> Each machine is running Fedora Core 4 obtained from the five x86-64 iso
> discs.  I chose the option to load "everything".
>
> The four machines are named Daffodil1, Daffodil2, Daffodil3, Daffodil4
>
> Each of the four discs is partitioned by the loading process thus:
> /dev/hda1  10 Gbytes    /               (System)
> /dev/shm    5 Gbytes                    (Swapspace)
> /dev/hda3  65 Gbytes    /home           (working area)
>
> It is my wish to allow each of these four machines to be able to read
> and write
> in each other's "working areas".
>
> To this end I constructed the (relevant parts of) /etc/fstab thus:
> .
> .
> LABEL=/home1   /home   ext3   defaults   1 2       # From the loading
> process
> .
> .
> Rose:/userdisc12  /userdisc12   nfs rw,bg 0 0      # Mounting an SGI disk
> .
> .
> Daffodil1:/home   /daffodil01   nfs rw,bg 0 0      # Added by me
> Daffodil2:/home   /daffodil02   nfs rw,bg 0 0
> Daffodil3:/home   /daffodil03   nfs rw,bg 0 0
> Daffodil4:/home   /daffodil04   nfs rw,bg 0 0
> .
> .
> etc
>
> THE PROBLEM
>
> Despite requesting that the (remote) mounts are read/write (rw) it has
> proved impossible for (say) Daffodil1 to be able to write to the file system
> daffodil02.  It is also not possible for daffodil1 to write to
> daffodil01 even though daffodil01 is effectively an alias for /home  on
> daffodil1. (daffodil1 can write to /home on daffodil1)
>
> The machines (daffodil1 --- daffodil4) have no problem in writing on the
> remote mounted discs on SGI machines (e.g. /userdisc12)
>
> What am I missing?  Is there some crucial flag that I have not set?
> Is there a fundamental difference in the way that "mount" works under
> UNIX and LINUX?
>
> Note that machines are named Daffodil1 etc, while file systems are named
> daffodil01 etc. (extra 0).
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Yours truly
>
> Peter Bladon

Make sure /etc/exports is set up properly- the /home directories need to
be set to rw, e.g. on Daffodil[1234], /etc/exports should have:
/home	daffodil*.local.domain(rw)

there is a gui tool- system-config-nfs which presumably can do all this,
as well as tweaking /etc/fstab and whatever else might need adjusting.

HTH,

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
  universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk at iag.net
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.