theoretical question - can root's username be changed?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Dec 3 06:29:14 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 14:20 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> One of the greatest things about Windows was that it put the computer
> into the hands of the "ordinary" user. BUT, one of the worst things is
> that the "ordinary" user is not actually capable of administering a
> computer. This is also true for automobiles. But we have, on every
> corner, dealerships which do the admin maintenance for the users of
> automobiles.
>
> Computers haven't gotten there, yet.

Hmm, I don't know about that.  We've plenty of computer shops which seem
to work in the dodgy car mechanic manner of:

- My mouse is a bit wonky.
- Do you know anything about computers?
- No.
- Well, you need a new video card, and updates to the hard drive,
  and we'll meed to replace the front panels on the case...

Not to mention those that'd just re-install everything, to temporarily
get things working (until the next complete re-install).  (Just why do
people accept this?)  :-\

And there are reputable computer servicers who will properly fix up your
PC.  However, how regularly do you want to be paying through the nose to
fix problems caused by design flaws?

I read messages from the public lists.