clear yum cache

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Dec 3 21:15:59 UTC 2005

Schlaegel wrote:

>On 12/3/05, Christofer C. Bell <christofer.c.bell at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>You really should use yum clean packages.  It won't make you download
>>anything again.

>>This means that it deletes the packages it's downloaded and installed
>>on your machine.  It's a cache of what's been downloaded.  It won't
>>download them again as they're already installed.  Only newer versions
>>will be downloaded.
>>
>>Using yum clean headers will, however, force you to download all the
>>header files again so if you're looking to avoid downloading things
>>again, then avoid yum clean headers.
>>

>I am in a similar situation. I use the same yum cache for two machines
>and am on a very slow link, so I don't ever want to delete the most
>recent version of a package. I also don't have a lot of extra disk
>space, so I don't like to keep around multiple versions of every
>package.
>I end up manually preening the cache by hand, which is far from ideal.
>I haven't had the time or bravery to experiment with the built in
>mechanism for cleaning the cache.
>
>I look forward to anyone who knows some yum-fu to automate this.

The idea to add an automated method to remove older version rpms while
keeping all copies of updated packages sounds like an ideal default
behavior for yum to follow. Keeping a copy of updated packages from the
original disks while pruning the transitional versions would work for me.
I know of no current parameter for yum which would accomlish this. If
none exists, maybe an RFE filed for yum would get attention to the idea.

Jim