Problem with double-layer dvd+r on fc3 ...

William W. Austin waustin at speakeasy.net
Sun Dec 4 04:58:48 UTC 2005

I am running fc 3 and am running into a problem I did not have a month
(or so) ago.

About a month ago I burned several (ok 9) double-layer dvd+r disks to
archive some older things that I wanted to clear off the machine.  Well
and good, and they still read OK.

However, today I went to do the same thing again (using the same script
calling growisofs) that I used before, but now the program spits the
dvd+r blank out telling me that I want to put, say 6.5 GB on a drive
that only holds 4.whatever.

I am still running the same version of dvd+rw-tools-5.21.4.10.8-2 which
was used when I burned the previous set, although I did install a newer
kernel (2.6.12-1.1381_FC3).

I tried booting to windoze and the drive writes double-layer just fine
there.

Has anybody seen this one?  I did a search on the lists and on the web
and if anybody has been talking about it, I must have missed it.  Any
suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks
william w. austin                               waustin at speakeasy.net
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."