FC3 USB Hard drive - large file corruption

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Dec 4 21:49:03 UTC 2005

On Sun December 4 2005 4:34 pm, Robert Paxton wrote:
> Already replaced both network cards (Server and desktop machine with brand
> new Linksys cards). And that dose not explain why the same machine running
> FC1 works and FC3 does not, or why I can transfer to the internal hard disk
> with no errors but the usb drive gets corrupted files.

I've had hours of frustration with external USB and Firewire devices on
Windows, which you say is also corrupting your transfers. In my case, I
stumbled on a hotfix on the Microsoft site that was supposed to cure 'write
delay' failures. Since then, my externals have been functioning fairly well.
I've done hours of research on the USB protocol and have multiple devices
that give me problems one moment, not the next, that mount perfectly on one
machine, and not the next, and on and on. I've come to the conclusion that
it's an imperfect protocol that has varying degrees of competent adaptation
by the various manufacturers - that's just a hypothesis. I'll watch this
thread with interest to see if anyone has come up with a better explanation,
or a solution. Presupposing that this is your problem -

I've found, since starting to work with Linux 18 months ago, that in general,
the drivers and devices behave better on my Linux boxes, and that the
situation seems to improve with time - it's not perfect, and there are
problems, but I've noted the difference several times to myself in recent
months. I have a lot to compare since I manage a small office network of
about 50 Windows pc's, and I now run about 10 Linux machines. I move
externals back and forth between the various systems all the time, so I do
have a lot of A/B comparisons chalked up.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA