moving /home

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Mon Dec 5 00:09:49 UTC 2005

On Sun December 4 2005 6:11 pm, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sun December 4 2005 4:24 pm, Claude Jones wrote:
> > cp -pr /home /mnt/my80gighome
>
> To update myself, I used the above with one small addition:
>
> cp -prv /home /mnt/my80gighome
>
> Unfortunately, I had a problem. I edited and rebooted, and the machine came
> up fine, but when I went to log in, it just returned the login screen each
> time I tried to log in under my username. It did let me log in as root, so
> I changed fstab back the way it was, and rebooted, and now I'm back where I
> was. I did check before rebooting, to see if the old /home was not mounted,
> and that the new one was on sda1; sda1 was mounted as /home, and I could
> browse the folders.
>
> Presumably, something went wrong with the copy. I did notice there was a
> discrepancy in the two home folders after the copy. 62 files totaling about
> 5k in size did not get copied. Maybe some lock files or something?

Talking to myself, again, I rebooted into runlevel 1 and redid the copy using
the same command as above after mounting the new SATA drive. Unfortunately,
the results were the same. At least I'm managing to do all this without
causing any damage. I've reverted back to my old setup, now. If anyone has a
suggestion, I'm all ears - could this be a permission issue?

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA