evolution and certificates

Tom Rivers tom at impact-crater.com
Mon Dec 5 02:09:31 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 11:25 -0800, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> I've been using evolution to download e-mail from my ISP using
> POP without problems.  Now I keep getting this message:
>
>          SSL Certificate check for agora.rdrop.com:
>
>          Issuer:            E=support at cacert.org,CN=CA Cert Signing
>          Authority,OU=http://www.cacert.org,O=Root CA
>          Subject:           CN=pop.rdrop.com
>          Fingerprint:
>          09:54:74:4b:b2:e4:32:a1:d2:56:e3:ac:34:de:cc:48
>          Signature:         BAD
>
>          Do you wish to accept?
>
>          I reply "yes" and get the password window as usual.  But I'd
> like to get rid of this message and learn something about certificates.
>
> 	The tech at my ISP wrote:
> "I updated the certificate (which expired) with one
> signed by the CACert certificate authority instead of using one I
> generated myself.  You probably went through this a year or two ago and
> "accepted permanently" then.  The Signature is "bad" because you don't
> have the cacert root cert installed.  I'm not sure how to install the
> cert so that evolution will use it, but info on getting it is at
> http://cert.peak.org/"
>
> 	The site cert.peak.org has the heading "Certificate Authority Update"
> and a section "Download CAcert.org Root Certificates for your browser
> with entries for "most browsers", "Internet Explorer on Mac OS X", and
> "Internet Explorer on Mac OS 8.1".  The only one seeming at all relevant
> to evolution was "most browsers".  So I've downloaded a text file
> containing some sort of encrypted gibberish with -----BEGIN
> CERTIFICATE----- at the top and -----END CERTIFICATE----- at the bottom.
>
> 	Will this work with evolution?  If so, how do I install it?  The
> program documentation is sketchy, to put it mildly.

Hello Gerhard,

If you're looking to import a certificate into Evolution, it's
relatively easy.  The first thing you need to do is get the certificate
that identifies the entity to which you are trying to connect.  Save it
somewhere on your local hard disk and start Evolution.  Then select:

Tools -> Settings -> Certificates

Click the Authorities tab, then click the Import button and browse to
where you saved the certificate.  Check all of the boxes that identify
what this certificate should be used for and click OK.  That should be
about it.

Tom