Problem booting after Yum update of FC4

Tony Foster Tony_Foster at surewest.net
Tue Dec 6 00:16:12 UTC 2005

[Tony Foster]
DSL provider is the problem. Old DSL modem (384Mbits) that they would like
me to go for a 10Mbit service and get a new modem. All machines in the house
go through these time outs. (win XP; MAC OSX; )
the linux machine does better then any of the others. Right around 20Mbytes
the network hits a wall and slows way down. I will try your suggestions to
get documentation to push on the ISP to replace old modem or upgrade me for
free.

> > I switched to Yum and the update proceeded smoothly but took 3 hours.
> >
> > Here is where the problems start.
> > I was searching for HelixPlayer to see if it was on the system.
> > Find returned an error
> > 	" incorrect hard link count in /proc usually a disc driver problem"
>
> Firstly, /proc isn't on the hard disk. It's a virtual filesystem, not
> ext3. There's no way (and no point) to fsck it.

[Tony Foster]
I used to be a strong user of UNIX when I did real software devel.
I suspect that Proc was a special case directory. The pre 7.0 unix did not
use this model.

> This is an incompatibility between the proc filesystem and find. It's a
> known issue.
>
> Dave Jones (Red Hat kernel guy) says an upgraded kernel should help:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-August/msg04746.html

[Tony Foster]
I let Yum grab the most recent released kernel.
I will investigate the pointer to new kernels. I bailed since I had not seen
any responses and reloaded the system from FC4 install. I am in the process
of updating again.
Thanks for the info on "find"  problem. Again I will investigate the
pointers.

> You should try to get a recent kernel working. Since you say you're on
> x86-64, try
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/x86_64/
> Download and rpm -i some of the recent kernel-* packages, and see if you
> can find one that works. Presumably you've got hyperthreading on that
> CPU, so you should really use the kernel-smp-* packages, but you may
> find a non-SMP version works better.
[Tony Foster]
Yes this CPU is a hyper threading unit.  I did have to go back to a non SMP
kernel to get the system through boot and stable.

> Hope this helps,
>
> James.
>
> --
> E-mail address: james | In the Royal Air Force a landing's OK,
> @westexe.demon.co.uk  | If the pilot gets out and can still walk away.
>                       | But in the Fleet Air Arm the outlook is grim,
>                       | If your landings are duff and you've not learnt to
> swim.
[Tony Foster]

Tony Foster

Tony_Foster at surewest.net

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is virtually indistinguishable from
magic."
(Arthur C. Clarke)