filesystem error - followed by blunder, any hopes???

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Dec 6 13:41:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 18:11 +0530, Anil Kumar Sharma wrote:
> Partly solved,
> how - I do not know,
> todo 1. confirm files are OK,   2. scan for badblocks, and 3
> strengthen firewall
>
> I tried to boot using knoppix 3.9 - it does not support LVM,
> Then boot to init 1 from grub prompt, and
> # mount
>  >> found list correct
> # pvscan
>  >> listed the structure correctly.
> # lvscan
>  >> listed the volumes correctly
> # cd
> # ls     ! walked up one directory at a time ls , ls -l
>  I could see the files and corruption gone therefore
> # exit    ! from init 1, and system goes to normal boot and user login
> is OK.
>
> Here, I checked for further corrupted files by checking size of
> directories. nothing unusual found. Surely, there is better way to
> check filesystem, hope I am able to find, but if someone knows, please
> tell..
>
> On 12/3/05, Anil Kumar Sharma <xplusaks at gmail.com> wrote:
>         Hello Friends,
>
>         Please guide how to solve this -

Boot from your rescue CD or the first install CD into rescue mode.

unmount all the normal filesystems that should have mounted
below /mnt/sysimage. (If they are damaged and e2fsck is required they
will not mount automatically.)

run e2fsck on each filesystem that you suspect corruption

remount the filesystems and do some browsing to see if there is anything
obviously damaged.

when done, reboot normally.