FC3/FC4 on 64-bit laptops

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Dec 7 03:15:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Patrick wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 15:55 -0800, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>> Not sure what the point of running a 64bit distro on a laptop is at the
>> moment, it's pretty hard to put 4GB of ram in one...
>
> Sheer coolness :)
>
> I have an Acer Ferrari 4000 (the new black carbon one). Pretty fast, big
> disk, dvd+/-rw, good screen and a fast graphics card (ATI X700). Runs
> FC4 x86_64 without too much hassle. The acpi DSDT fix for the battery in
> the kernel is some work and unfortunately required because the acpi
> releases in new kernels just don't seem to pickup the fix. Other than
> that nothing that can not be solved with a quick google.

Sure, and linuxcertified sells amd64 laptops with the os installed as
well. but any performance benifit you realize is likely the product of amd
cpu's being anywhere for a bit to a lot faster than a similar price intel
cpu. the 64bitness isn't going to help for you laptop applications.

I have an athlon 64 desktop running the i386 version of fc, and several
dozen dual opterons, and emt64 intel machines some with as many as 16GB of
ram using fc4 and rhel 3 & 4. Running a 64 bit kernel/os is certainly a
win for some things, applications have no problem having am memory
footprint greater than 3GB for example.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu