relocation error: sc3u: symbol _dl_global_scope

Ulrich Drepper drepper at redhat.com
Wed Dec 7 18:18:49 UTC 2005

Strong wrote:
> When I try to run SimCity3 I get this error:
> sc3u: relocation error: sc3u: symbol _dl_global_scope, version
> GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference
> How is it, if the glibc-2.3.5-10 is newer than the game? And, that is
> the most important, how I solve the problem? Thank You.

There is nothing you can do.  This is an internal symbol of the  dynamic
linker which used to be exported due to limitations of tools and the
glibc build environment.  It isn't anymore.  In fact, the symbol does
not even exist anymore.

The only thing you can do is to run the code with an old glibc.  Create
a tree with old binaries and then run the app by starting the old ld.so
directly with the library path and the binary name as parameters.  This
is all non-trivial.  A chroot probably doesn't work since you need X.