yum "what you can" option?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Dec 8 01:25:05 UTC 2005

Dave Jones wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 03:42:55PM -0700, Paul Lemmons wrote:
> > I may be just missing it but is there an option with yum that will let
> > it install everything that does not fail a dependency test? For example,
> > if I do a "yum -y update" and there are 100 things that it sees to
> > update and one of the items can not install because there is an
> > unresolved dependency, the other 99 that could have been updated do not
> > get updated. I would like to be able to get the 99 on and then work out
> > the problem with the 1 later.
>
>This has come up in the past. The last time I suggested it, Seth had
>objections.  So I've been using this in the meantime..
>
>yum list updates | awk '{ print $1 }' > .packages
>for i in `cat .packages`;
>do
>        yum -y update $i
>done
>rm -f .packages
>
>		Dave

I also had no luck with Seth regarding the suggestion to have yum
install rpms where no conflict exists. Someone posted this script that I
copied and used with success. (similar in function, different method)
#!/bin/sh
for i in `yum list updates |cut -f 1 -d " " |grep -A 500 -e Updated |\
grep -v -e Updates` ; do
        echo "Updating $i"
        yum -y update $i

Both scripts work similar. Now to get yum to pull in what it can deal
with, then report which packages need tended to, for those to install.

Now I have two scripts.
Thanks,
Jim