Problem with Terminal

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 13:12:59 UTC 2005

Michael Wright wrote:
> I'm using  FEDORA-CORE 4 GOME Terminal i type my root password but the it
> saids Command can not be found? it seams to be disabled for some reason.

OK: you seem to be labouring under a few misunderstandings here.

I presume you've got the idea that you have your normal login user, and
the root user, that can do anything?

And you've got the idea that you shouldn't be using the root account
unless you have to?

And that a text "shell" isn't just for root users: it can be
productively and reasonably used by normal users?

What the GNOME Terminal does is bring you up a normal text window with
you logged in as yourself. If you need to "become" root for system
maintenance purposes, use the command
su -
and only type in your root password when prompted.

> was going to ring my tech today but never had the time. I wanted to start
> the cpanl download there could be two reason why i can conect boardband
> mite be down all my tech has installed it wrong. when he did the boot disc
> not sure.

I'm not sure that this makes much sense. If you *can* connect, what's
the problem? Do you mean that the broadband might be down or your tech
has installed it wrong? (Did you ask him to?)

What sort of broadband are you using -- ADSL (over the phone), cable, or
something else? What sort of broadband modem / router are you using? And
where are you located?

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | That brought a lump to the eye and a tear to the
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | throat.