amd .vs intel....

Gilboa Davara gilboada at netvision.net.il
Fri Dec 9 04:34:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 16:42 -0800, Ezra Nugroho wrote:

> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/index.html

Eeeek! Not Tomshardware.
In my experience, his views always seemed to follow how-ever advertises
the most on this site. (Which is usually Intel)

Entry level computing:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2395
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron-3400.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron-3000.html

Mid level:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2353
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentiumd-820.html

Performance level:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2429
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2456
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-fx57.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/28cpu-games.html

Dual core & servers:
Latest: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-1.html?tag=lnav
Linux: http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2463
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2410
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2397
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-x2-3800.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/opteron-ws.html

Let me start off by saying, I'm an AMD man. However, I've got enough
experience with the P4/P4 Xeon (including the machine I'm typing this
message on) to be considered objective.

In the end, I'd say:

Entry level:
Rather even field. The Sempron64 is faster the Celleron D, but at least
currently, the Celleron is a bit cheaper.
Oh. AMD's 64bit performance is better.

Mid level:
AMD has (much) better performance; Intel has (at times) lower price.
(See a pattern emerging?)

Performance level:
AMD. Period.

Dual core:
The Athlon64 x2 and the Opteron x6x/x7x/x8x are (much) faster then their
P4D and XeonD counter-parts. If you want the best performance, go AMD,
period.
*However*, while much slower, the P4 820D which starts at around 240$ is
a very interesting deal if you looking to go SMP for cheap. (The closest
AMD, the 3800 X2 starts at around 320$)

As I said, I'm an AMD user. However, if I had to get Intel, I'd get the
820D or go rock-bottom-cheap and get a Celleron.

Gilboa