Nasty spam challenges

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Dec 9 11:18:48 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty:

>> This has been proposed more than once here; apparently this is
>> not something the list manager(s) is(are) willing to do.

Craig White:

> No - they would rather this all move over to forums instead

Ugh, I hope not.  Web forums are a monumental timewaster, and become
totally impractical if you're hoping to stay abreast of events on many
different things.  I'm on about a dozen different mailing lists, I
couldn't manage that, at all, if they were web forums.

If anyone was considering a change, it should be to usenet.  It's the
ideal mechanism for mass messages.  You've got a plethora of on-line and
off-line clients with filtering features that just isn't doable with a
web forum.  Not to mention that, with usenet, there's no need to expose
an e-mail address to subject you to spam.

I read messages from the public lists.