question about ASUS motherboard

François Patte francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr
Fri Dec 9 15:36:35 UTC 2005

David Niemi a écrit :
| On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 08:53 +0100, François Patte wrote:
|
|>Bonjour,
|>
|>I'd like to know if the motherboard: ASUS P5WD2 Premium is supported by
|>FC4. I have a Intel pentium D 830 on it.
|>
|>I tried to boot FC4, but:
|>
|>1- I got only the "text" and no fedora logo
|>
|>2- When I press "Enter", the kernel begins to load but the process stops
|>in a few seconds and I come back to the ASUS splash screen.
|>
|>Thanks for any help (maybe quick: I have only a little time to change
|>things...)
|

| François:
| Try entering a little gibberish (like jdfjfhf) from the prompt and
| hitting enter.  You will get an error about kernel jdfjfhf not found.
| Then hit enter again and it may run.

I'll try this. quite surprising anyway...

| If it doesn't, look at this page:
| http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=25826

I tried "rescue" option, but, I'll try some more. With rescue, the
result was the same.

| Otherwise without knowing more about your hardware

Here is the description on the ASUS site for the motherboard.

- - Intel 955X chipset
- - Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU
- - Dual-Core CPU
- - Native DDR2 800 Support
- - Universal PCI-E Slot
- - PEG Link
- - AI NOS™

And the processor:

Intel® Pentium® D processor 830:

Architecture:   90 nm, LGA775
Cache:          2x1MB L2
Clock Speed:    3 GHz
Front Side Bus: 800 MHz
Dual-core:      yes
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology: yes
Intel® EM64TΦ: yes
Execute Disable Bit°: yes

But I don't understand much on hardware problems. I maybe understand
that this architecture is a 64 bits one (am I right?) and I tried to
install FC4_i386.... Should I install FC4-x86_64 ?

| and what the error
| messages you may be seeing before the process stops (apparent reboot??)

Hélas! no message at all! only reboot!

| it is difficult for the community to assist.

Hope this time....

Thank you.

- --
François Patte