apache cannot be started

gb spam gbofspam at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 09:05:57 UTC 2005

> this works.but another problem is raised.i am building my site basd on
> php.after i start the apache server buy root the explorer cannot the main
> page(index.php).it returns "permission denied".this page can be opened when
> i start the server using normal user.what's wrong with that?

Once bound to port 80, Apache changes user to 'apache'.  This user
must have the priv to read the index.php file.

The easiest way to ensure apache does have the priv is to log into
apache, and try to cat the fle.  apache, however has logins disabled,
so you need to do a "usermod -l /bin/bash apache" before logging in.
once you're happy apache can read it, you should do a "usermod -l
/sbin/nologin apache" again.  There is no need to restart Apache
throughout any of this.

Even if the apache user has the priv to read the file, selinux can
still get in the way, so I recommend disabling that (temporarily) if
it still doesn't work.