Question about Java on Fedora 4

Hoffmann oasf2004 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 12 05:36:57 UTC 2005

 Hi All,

 I have no previous experience with java programming, and my questions are related to java on FC4. My OS is Fedora x86_64 and my processor is an Intel EM64T. I realized that my Java versionis the  1.4.2, and I was not able to upgrade it by using yum. My questions are:

 (1) Could anyone, please, let me know how could I upgrade java to the latest version? Is the best option to wait for the newest version be released by yum?

 (2) The most impottant question: What about the Java Virtual Machine? I realized that some applications I would like to install/run are generating a warning about not being able to find the JVM on my machine? How could I solve this problem? Is it already installed? If affirmative, how could I make JVM be recognized by those applications?

 Thanks a lot in advance!
 Best,
 Hoffmann