Question about Java on Fedora 4

Hoffmann oasf2004 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 12 06:09:12 UTC 2005

"Christofer C. Bell" <christofer.c.bell at gmail.com> wrote: On 12/11/05, Hoffmann  wrote:

>  (1) Could anyone, please, let me know how could I upgrade java to the
> latest version? Is the best option to wait for the newest version be
> released by yum?
>
>  (2) The most impottant question: What about the Java Virtual Machine? I
> realized that some applications I would like to install/run are generating a
> warning about not being able to find the JVM on my machine? How could I
> solve this problem? Is it already installed? If affirmative, how could I
> make JVM be recognized by those applications?

I'd recommend the J2SE from here:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp (Java on Linux isn't quite
up to par, IMO).  I use the non-RPM bundle of netbeans and the J2SE
and install it in /opt.  You can update your path appropriately for
your Java applications to work.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."

 Hi Christofer,

 Many thanks for your prompt reply. I also installed J2SE in /opt directory. However, when I run " java -version" command, I got the information that about still having the old java (1.4.2) version working, instead of the newest one. I became worried about the possibility of messing up the configuration of FC4. Could you or anyone alse, please, let me know how could I update my path appropriately for my Java applications to work with the new Java version and its JVM? Sorry, if that question seems to be too stupid, but, as I told before, I have no experience with java, etc.

 Thanks, once again!
 Hoffmann