openoffice

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Dec 14 15:51:20 UTC 2005

Edward Dekkers wrote:
> chen li wrote:
>
>> Hi Charles,
>>
>> Thanks. Nothing  shows up after I followed the command
>> you suggested.
>>
>> If I install it this way: rpm -Uvih *.rpm
>> I got this message: Segmentation fault
>>
>> If I install it this way: rpm -vih *.rpm
>>
>> I got the following on the screen and got stuck at 4%
>> forever.
>>
>>  Preparing...
>> ########################################### [100%]
>>    1:openoffice.org-core08 ###########################################
>> [  4%]
>>
>> Li
>>

> I would not expect it to segfault that way, but you are contradicting
> the arguments.
>
> 1> U is for Updating a package.
> 2> i is for installing a package.
> 3> v is for verbose output (more messages to the console).
> 4> h is for the hash marking (progress bar).
>
> So for updating a package I use:
>
> rpm -Uvh *.rpm
>
> for installing a package from scratch (like what you should do with
> kernels) I use:
>
> rpm -ivh *.rpm
>
> I would expect an error in rpm if you use both i and U in the same
> command as you've done above. A segfault is a bit much and I assume the
> programmers haven't debugged that parameter combination.
>
> As to why it takes so long, I would rebuild the rpm database and clear
> the cache files - this smells like an old problem I used to have.
>
> Regards,
> Ed.

The usage of -i and -U at the same time should not be allowed in my
books.  Time for a bug (enhancement) report on this.

The usage of -U will install a package that hasn't been installed yet
so -i isn't required.

  rpm {-U|--upgrade} [install-options] PACKAGE_FILE ...

        This upgrades or installs the package currently installed to
        a newer version.   This  is the same as install, except all
        other version(s) of the package are removed after the new
        package is installed.