BASH and YES or ECHO cannot send "!"

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 14 17:45:37 UTC 2005

wwp wrote:
> Hello jdow,
>

> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:41:52 -0800 "jdow" <jdow at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>From: "Synister Syntax" <synistersyntaxlist at gmail.com>
>>
>>>echo "Hello World! "
>>>
>>>also works...
>>>
>>>    Just don't have !" on top of each other like that.  An extra
>>>spcae should't get in the way?
>>>Hope this adds to your research.
>>
>>Of coure, "!" is an annoyance. "&" can kill a machine.
>>  echo this will destroy your machine & rm -rf /
>>is not quite the same thing as
>>  echo "This won't destroy your machine & rm -rf /"
>>
>>ALWAYS be careful about quoting when using special characters.
>
> [snip]
>
> The point would be for a (new) user to know that ! is a special one :-),
> that's not trivial.

I'm hardly a "new" user of bash. I've used it since about 1994
or so on HPUX, Solaris, and now Linux.

Frankly, I think that bash has gotten too big and ambitious
for its own good. There comes a time when another bell or whistle
is *not* a good thing.

The cshell is even worse.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.