Embedded Linux pointers?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 16 02:07:52 UTC 2005

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Jay Moore wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 20:02 -0500, Neil Cherry wrote:
> > Rather than hijack the CF-based Router thread I thought I'd ask
> > in a separate thread. Does anyone have a good howto, tutorial or
> > book for understanding building an embedded Linux setup? I have
> > several boards that I want to use but I always run into trouble
> > with the initrd, or pivot root or something near in the process.
> >
> > Any pointers?
>
> Well there's a book titled "Building Embedded Linux Systems" by
> Karim Yaghmour. I'd almost recommend it as I think it does a
> reasonably good job of covering things, but it falls short (IMHO) of
> providing the "how- to" necessary to get a real system going. And
> the author has apparently found other fish to fry, as there are no
> errata nor updates to the book (last I checked anyway).
>
> So I'd say this book is not too bad as far as "understanding" an
> embedded Linux setup, but it won't get you through "building" an
> embedded Linux setup.
>
> For actually building embedded systems, as as far as I know, you'll
> need to subscribe to the mailing lists (e.g. Dan Kegel's
> 'crosstool'), and be prepared to spend lots of time learning by
> trial and error.

you have to be more specific -- an embedded linux for what processor?

as a start, crosstool to build your cross-compiler toolchain.  then,
for general info, www.denx.de has lots of good information.

beyond that, you'll have to find the development community for your
particular processor, and get on that mailing list.

rday