FC4 x86_64 + new questions

François Patte francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr
Fri Dec 16 10:27:37 UTC 2005

Nathan Grennan a écrit :
> François Patte wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your answer. I tried this, but there are some "failed
>> dependancies"...
>>
>> So, my next question is: is possible to tell yum to install specific
>> i386 packages (with right dependancies of course!)?
>>
>> It seems also, that xmms is not working: I have only 2 output plugins:
>> arts and crossfade. With the first one xmms complains that it cannot
>> connect a arts server, the second one kills xmms...
>
>  I use x86_64 both at the office and at home on my primary desktops. I
> setup both to have the i386 version of all the repositories I use. Then
> I can pick if I want the i386 or x86_64 of any package. In some cases
> the their are only i386 versions, even when there could be x86_64
> versions. It is just that the packager doesn't have a x86_64 system.
>
>  I copy all the repo files that are enabled as file-i386.ext. So
> fedora.repo becomes fedora-i386.repo. Then I edit the files and add a
> -i386 to the end of the repo title in []s. This makes it unique so that
> it doesn't conflict with the x86_64 version. I also replace all mentions
> of $basearch with i386.

Thanks for these very useful hints. following your ideas, I dupplicate
yum.conf (renamed yum-i383.conf) file and yum.repos.d (renamed
yum-i386.repos.d) directory -- of course, yum-i383.conf refers to this
directory -- and put in it all the *-i386.repo changed as you suggested.

I use either yum install xxxx or yum -c /etc/yum-i383.conf install xxxx

It works but there is something that I cannot understand: yum always
refers to ..../4/x86_64/os/ repositories even if, at the end, it will
use some repo-i386 to install the required package and in the table I
can see at the end of the yum query ("I will do the following:") the
arch written is x86_64 but it is false....

> One downside is that you then need to be
> explicit at all times. You can't just say yum install xmms and expect it
> to assume x86_64. Instead it will assume you want both and give you
> x86_64 and i386. Plus both x86_64 and i386 dependencies. So you have to
> use yum install xmms.i386.

In this I did not succeeded: the answer is always "no match for
package.i386. But, maybe, you wanted to suggest something that I did not
understand.

>  Another thing that helps is setting rpm to always return the arch along
> with the name, version, and release. You can do this by creating
> /etc/rpm/macros.local. In it, put %_query_all_fmt
> %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}

This is realy useful! It avoid rpm -e some-package (for instance) to
answer some-package is multiple and does nothing.

Hope that something of the like will come with next releases of x86_64 arch.

Thanks again.

--
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique