amd .vs intel....

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Dec 16 14:01:31 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian wrote:

> Clock speed actually means nothing for performance comparisons.  I
> believe mips is a much better measure of performance.  AMD wins hands

Meaningless Indicator of Performance?

MIPs is inversely proportional to clock spead. Neither is better than
the other as a measure of performance except in the same generation (and
revision) of CPU of the same architecture.

Mostly, but not necessarily, the big changes are at the generational
changes: a Pentium III at 1 Ghz outperformed a Pentium IV at the same
speed, and an Athlon outperformed both.

It gets even more complicated when comparing different architectures:
choose amongst current generations of IA32, IA64, AMD-64, Power,
UltraSparc, Sparc64, MIPS and ARM. And IBM's zSeries, which don't
compute all that well, but do disk I/O at gigabytes/sec.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait