kernel-devel vs. kernel-devel-smp

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 15:06:42 UTC 2005

On 12/16/05, Christofer C. Bell <christofer.c.bell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Silly question, I'm sure, but what's the difference between these two
> packages?  I was under the impression that every kernel (both the
> uniprocessor and SMPs ones) were complied from the same kernel source
> package.  So why are there different packages for -devel and
> smp-devel?
>
> Thanks!

The kernel-devel package contains only those files necessary to
compile modules against your running kernel and not the entire kernel
itself.  The same for kernel-smp-devel (for building modules for SMP
kernels).  The SRPM is the package that contains the entire kernel
source and is the package from which all the other kernels are built.

And yes, I did just answer my own question. ;-)

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."