Qt and Koffice

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 17 15:23:52 UTC 2005

chen li wrote:
> I check the Internet and find some suggestions about
> upgrading such as FC1 to FC2, FC2 to FC3, FC3 to FC4.
> But none of them talk
> how to upgrade directly from FC1 to FC3 or FC4. Is
> there a means to upgrade to FC4 from FC1?

Yes, two.

You should be able to just put the FC4 install CD or DVD in the
appropriate drive and reboot. It should detect that there is an existing
FC1 installation and offer to upgrade it.

Be warned that this hasn't been tested very much. It's also likely that
you will end up with older programs that might no longer be part of
Fedora Core, with older programs that are no longer installed by
default, and without new programs that would be installed if you
installed Fedora from scratch.

The alternative method (and one which many people will recommend) is to
reformat your partitions, install Fedora Core 4 from scratch, and
restore user data and configuration data from one of the backups you
made before you updated your system.

Because, *of* *course*, you'd have decent, tested backups before you did
anything to your system like upgrading it, wouldn't you?

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "Today Has Been Two Of Those Days."
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |     -- Mike Andrews