compiling iptables userspace complaint

Randy Grimshaw rgrimsha at syr.edu
Mon Dec 19 18:48:17 UTC 2005

Ultimately I want to build the IPSET extension into iptables.
It requires a patch to the kernel and iptables.
I can rebuild the kernel OK.
I am unable to compile the iptables SRPM
To prove that it can be done I am not applying the patch yet.
the complaint is that I am using kernel headers in userspace, and to use libc instead.
I have tried defining __KERNEL__ and I have tried the mmazur libc-headers (though I am uncertain about my using these properly - I think so).
Any help would be appreciated.
for example, how does redhat compile in kernel space?
Thank you.
<><Randy

<><Randall Grimshaw
Room 203 Machinery Hall