FC4 Installation issues with partitioning

Bill ngc4013 at cox.net
Tue Dec 20 01:19:01 UTC 2005

I have tried to perform an installation many times on a couple of Tyan
dual AthlonMP motherboards while trying different installation
configuration scenarios and am now very disappointed in FC4 compared to FC3.

I prefer using reiserfs which then causes issues with partitioning
usually resulting in the system being forced into a reboot. It was
recently discovered that when the /boot partition is a reiserfs
partition it causes problems and if I make it an ext3 partition then the
OS will install. Also, it does not matter whether the /boot is a
separate partition or is part of the / partition.

Also, when partitioning it never seems to work right if I try to
partition with my standard partitioning scheme which does not use LVM.
It seems that in most cases if I avoid LVM something happens to the
installation that makes the OS either not install or there are issues
with grub after an install. Why does anaconda have to insist on LVM when
I really do not want to utilize it 100% (or at all in some cases) for my
partitioning schemes?

Bill