Building a single kernel module

J. K. Cliburn jcliburn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 14:49:25 UTC 2005

Instructions for (re)building a single kernel module in FC4 are simple
and outlined in the Release Notes thusly.

For example, to build the foo.ko module, create the following Makefile
in the directory containing the foo.c file:

obj-m := foo.o

KDIR  := /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
PWD   := $(shell pwd)

default:
    $(MAKE) -C $(KDIR) M=$(PWD) modules

Issue the make command to build the foo.ko module.

I've done this in the past, but for some reason, today it doesn't
work.  I'm trying to rebuild the via-velocity kernel module.

[root at osprey net]# uname -r
2.6.14-1.1653_FC4
[root at osprey net]# pwd
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.14/linux-2.6.14/drivers/net
[root at osprey net]# ls -l via-velocity.c
-rw-r--r--  2 root root 88213 Dec 20 08:09 via-velocity.c
[root at osprey net]# cat Makefile
obj-m := via-velocity.o

KDIR  := /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
PWD   := $(shell pwd)

default:
    $(MAKE) -C $(KDIR) M=$(PWD) modules
[root at osprey net]# make
make: Nothing to be done for `default'.

Surely I'm overlooking something trivial.  Any ideas what it is?

Thanks,
Jay