dhclient-3.0.2-26.FC4 broken ?

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Wed Dec 21 14:25:38 UTC 2005

Sebastian Kloska wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Since the latest update I do not get a default gateway via dhcp
> in our companies network. Found out that dhclient-script
> in dhclient-3.0.2-26.FC4 rejects to set our default route.
> 10.0.255.254
>
> The following statement is responsible:
>
> <snip>
>
>                for router in $new_routers; do
>                    if [ -z "$router" ] || [ `IFS=. ip2num $router` -le 0
> ] || [[ $router = *255* ]] || [[ "${default_routers[@]}" == *"$router"*
> ]]; then
>                        continue;
>                    fi;
>                    default_routers=(${default_routers[@]} $router)
>                    add_default_gateway $router $metric;
>                    let i=i+1;
>                    metric=$i;
>                done
>
> </snip>
>
> The add_default_gateway function is never called whenever there is a 255
> within the ip
> of the default route as reported by the DHCP server, which is the case
> in our companies
> network.
> Is this a bug or is there a convention which forbits the *255*  gateway
> address ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Sebastian

Sebastian,

I think you are right.  But, there is a growing majority that do not
like using .255 as the IP.  Because this address is usually reserved for
broadcast addresses and not for physical machines.
That the case the script should be looking for an IP that ends in .255
and not one that contains a 255 in the IP address.

James Kosin
--
Scanned by ClamAV - http://www.clamav.net