mail server

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Dec 22 17:21:30 UTC 2005

Am Do, den 22.12.2005 schrieb azeem ahmad um 17:39:

> i m configuring sendmail, i configured it on zoni.com. the problem is that

What does that mean? Please be specific at best. From information given
we don't know whether you are speaking about masquerading as zoni.com or
whether the hostname is zoni.com or just that you added zoni.com to
local-host-names. Provide configuration file details as well log file
entries where it makes sense.

> it is even sending and recieving mails for/to must at must.com. while i think

How is must.com related to zoni.com?

grep -n "must.com" /etc/mail/*

> it must recieve/send for must at zoni.com.

"must" is a user on your system?

> in details.
> i configure my MS outlook for user must at must.com with correct password that

The sender From: can be faked easily by anyone.

> is of must at zoni.com. and it is recieving mails for must at zoni.com and sending
> mails to other user using my server, when the mail reaches other user, the
> header tells that mail came from must at must.com

So the header From: is set as you told your MUA (MS Outlook) to do so.

> Azeem

Your problem is what?

echo '$=w' | /usr/lib/sendmail -bt

  => tells you which domains are treated as local domain (Sendmail
accepts @class{w} for local delivery)

If you want to test for your configuration being an open relay:

http://www.abuse.net/relay.html
http://www.ordb.org/submit/

Alexander

Serendipity 18:12:05 up 17 days, 22:49, load average: 0.45, 0.26, 0.10