Accessing Tape Drive on another linux system

amar_padhi amar_padhi at fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 23 18:50:18 UTC 2005

Hi,
requirement is simple. Two servers exist on RHEL 3.0. The tape drive is
connected to server B. The databases are on server A. We want a direct
access to the tape drive on server B from server A. This way we will be
able to do online backups direct to the server B tape drive from server
A databases. Redhat support informed that this is not possible, i.e.,
tape drives cannot be shared across the network.

I am very sure this is possible. This is a requirement which every
multi-server organization will have and linux is more than capable of
doing this!

Do provide your inputs. Bottom line, how do I share my tape drive on the
network (for linux servers only).

Thanks!
amar