Accessing Tape Drive on another linux system

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Fri Dec 23 19:02:52 UTC 2005

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, amar_padhi wrote:

> Hi,
> requirement is simple. Two servers exist on RHEL 3.0. The tape drive is
> connected to server B. The databases are on server A. We want a direct
> access to the tape drive on server B from server A. This way we will be
> able to do online backups direct to the server B tape drive from server
> A databases. Redhat support informed that this is not possible, i.e.,
> tape drives cannot be shared across the network.
>
> I am very sure this is possible. This is a requirement which every
> multi-server organization will have and linux is more than capable of
> doing this!
>
> Do provide your inputs. Bottom line, how do I share my tape drive on the
> network (for linux servers only).

amanda - open source

akriea - commercial

cpiotool - per script

http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/N/NI/NICKB/cpiotool-0.65

the command-line

find . -print| cpio -oacv -C 129024 |ssh username at host dd of=/dev/st0
bs=5k

Note that databases typically have to be quiesced before backup, there are
various ways to do this, filesystem snapshots, interfaces between the
database and the backup software (typically commercial) simply taking the
database offline for the duration of the backup, etc.

I recomend getting a copy of oreilly's unix backup and recovery (which is
worth it's weight in gold), and also perodically testing your backup and
recovery procedures.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu