how to schedule my task

gb spam gbofspam at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 13:14:06 UTC 2005

>  I created a GUI application on QT 3.1 on red HAT LINUX. Now i want to run this application automatically just after log in as ROOT. How can i do this . If I want to run my application daily at 4:30 PM then what to do for it.
>
>  I tried it using cron but  could not successful . Any idea will be appriciable.

cron does not have a display associated with it, so your gui app will
die.  check root's mail, by default all output (errors in this case)
from the job will be mailed to the user.

you could try the following:

DISPLAY=:0.0

in the script, but you'll need to do some xhost stuff for each user
that may be logged in on the GUI.