SPLIT a file based on String

Richard England rengland at europa.com
Sun Dec 25 22:07:54 UTC 2005

Nat Gross wrote:

>Hi;
>I need something like SPLIT, but instead of splitting based on bytes
>or lines, I want it to start a new file every time it encounters a
>"CREATE TABLE" string.
>I am a newbie with command line tools.
>
>Thank you all;
>-nat

 csplit -k -f section testfile  '/CREATE TABLE/' {*}

This should help.   -f section   makes the split data show up in files
called  'section01', 'section02', etc. -k keeps it from deleting output
files created if an error occurs.  'testfile' is the input file,
'/CREATE TABLE/' is the regular expression used to match and {*}  uses
the previous reg. exp.  as many times as necessary.