ssh security

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 12:14:58 UTC 2005

On 12/26/05, jdow <jdow at earthlink.net> wrote:
> From: "Gerald" <gwichman at gmail.com>
>
> > It looks like i'm getting a dictionary attack on my system. I moved
> > ssh to another port instead of 22 in hopes that would put a halt to it
> > but it did not. Any recommendations to improve security here? I notice
> > these attacks come from a variety of IP's so pursuing one individual
> > is probably not worthwhile.
> >
> > [root at corona ~]# tail /var/log/secure

[. . . snip snip snip . . . ]

> > tursun from ::ffff:203.115.124.116 port 40714 ssh2
> > Dec 25 21:20:46 corona sshd[24897]: Accepted password for root from
> > ::ffff:10.1.1.17 port 4500 ssh2
> > [root at corona ~]#
>
> Unless the last one was you, Gerald, your machine is no longer your
> machine. Disconnect it, save important data, reformat, and reload your
> software from KNOWN GOOD backups.
>
> {^_^}

The last one is from an RFC1918 reserved address (10.0.0.0/8) and is
from his internal network.  All the others are from the public
Internet.  I'd assume that's him logging into his own machine. ;-)

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."