status of Palm Sync

David L idht4n at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 27 08:23:34 UTC 2005

> > I just bought a Treo 650 and was looking for info about how to use it
>with
> > FC4 when I found the posting below which says FC4 is "completely broken
>with
> > respect to Palm syncronization".  Is this supposed to be addressed in
>FC5,
> > or should I "downgrade" to FC3?  Has anybody synced a Treo with
>Evolution in
> > FC5-test1?
> >
> > Thanks...
> >                        David
>
>Palm syn still broken. The latest packages might have solved the problem
>for a couple of people, but at least in my case, I still need Mark G.
>Adams' RPMs (see below) to get my Palm to sync.
>I've given up on bug-reports.
>Last time I counted, I found ~10 bugs related to udev ttyUSB, pilot-*
>and gnome-pilot)
>
>I'm using the fix from:
>http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/pub/people/mark_adams/
Hmm... This didn't seem to work for me.  Installing the rpms like it
indicated in the readme (it said rpm -Fvh *.rpm) acted like it didn't
actually install anything.  So I just extracted the files from the rpm file
like this:
rpm2cpio /tmp/pilot-link-0.12.0-0.pre4.0.fc4.2.i386.rpm | cpio -i -d

Then I added the path to the usr/bin directory that the above command
extracted to the beginning of my path.  I pushed the hotsync button and then
ran:

pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1 -b /tmp/foo2

I ran this several times until udev got around to creating ttyUSB1, but then
it just sat there doing nothing until the Treo timed out.  I also tried
coldsync with the same results:
coldsync -p /dev/ttyUSB1 -mb /tmp/foo2

:(