Firefox for Fedora

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Tue Dec 27 18:39:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 19:03 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I want to install Firefox 1.5 but Yum does not provide it. So I looked
> for rpms on the net and found a few for Fedora, but none are in
> Hebrew. Before I install from the oficial tarball, I have some
> concerns that I would like some input on:
> 1) If I install from the tarball, yum will no longer update Firefox.
> Can I tell yum to maintain it anyway?
> 2) I did locate and found that most ff files are in
> /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.7/ . Can I just unpack the new 1.5 tarball in
> /usr/lib/firefox-1.5/ and have them live side by side?
> 3) I currently can type the command "firefox" in the command line to
> start Firefox. Will this change to start 1.5 if I install them side by
> side? If not, how do I correct it?

I have installed Firefox 1.5 while keeping the FC stuff there.  What I
did was to download the tarball from www.getfirefox.com into /usr/local
so that the executable is /usr/local/firefox/firefox.  Then I
edit /etc/profile, putting /usr/local/firefox into the PATH environment
variable.  The way I do it is to add this line:

PATH="/usr/local/firefox:$PATH"

directly above the line that reads:

export PATH USER LOGNAME MAIL HOSTNAME HISTSIZE INPUTRC

When anyone logs in, Firefox 1.5 is ahead of everything else in their
search path.

This is not elegant, but it does work pretty well.

There are other ways of doing it, but this quick-n-dirty hack works OK
for me.

TC