FC4 up2date fatal RPM install error

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 28 15:41:18 UTC 2005

Jim Cornette:
>>> I believe you have to run createrepo every time your local rpm storage
>>> directory is updated with rpms. You do not need to do this for
>>> up2date.

Tim:
>> I've never had to use any createrepo command any time I'd added new
>> RPMs, via any method (up2date/yum/rpm command).

John Summerfied:
> I'm sure that if you mirror the repository then you don't need to run
> createrepo.

Other way around, I'd have thought.  If you wanted to make your own
mirror, then you'd be creating repo files.  If you were just updating
your system from a repository, you don't need to.

The original poster appears to be talking about keeping their system up
to date, and the merits of yum versus up2date being discussed.  And that
was where I chimed in:  Yum being relatively painless to use to keep
your system up to date, even multiple ones.  I just share out my YUM
cache over my LAN, and manually rpm -Uvh the latest RPMs that I've
received onto the other machines - providing that I've already got them
on those machines.  I should probably use the freshen option, and let
the machines take care of that themselves, now that I think of it.

I read messages from the public lists.