FireFox & Mozilla based Web Browsers

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 28 15:32:25 UTC 2005

Ali Helmy:
>>> When I run K's Konqueror, I log on and browse the net well, but the
>>> problem comes when trying to use FF... I've installed FF1.5, but it
>>> doesn't connect to the internet, it keeps on searching for the web
>>> page forever, and then gives me the "Page Timed-out" error... I tried
>>> Gnome's Epiphany, and it still did the same...

Tim:
>> Do you use a proxy?  Are you supposed to?

Ali Helmy:
> no, i dont have a proxy and shouldnt...
>
> When i installed FF on windows, it worked without any settings right
> out of the box,

Same here.

> on FC4 however it doesnt want to

Not the same here.  I'm wondering if you're having some wider network
problems (name resolution, gateway address) that's making your problem,
but KDE/Konqueror's been configured in a way that works around that, and
you haven't made more generic network options the same.  I've never been
a fan of web browsers that are integrated into other applications
(Konqueror, MSIE), it muddies the waters.

Having the gateway set correctly, seems the most likely point to start.

I read messages from the public lists.