Disk defragmenter in Linux

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Dec 28 23:31:22 UTC 2005

Guy Fraser wrote:

>>That's not quite the case. Check the facts at http://www.pathname.com/
>>(and fall in love with Enya while you're there).
>

> That is from January 2004, and appears to be Red Hat centric.
It's not RH-centric.It applies equally to all distros.

> I learnt about file system hierarchy in the 1980's. Just because
So? Linux isn't Unix, it's only very similar.

> someone claims to be in charge of some kind of official web page
> on file system hierarchy does mean it is the official
> recommendations for all distributions and Unix variants.
But it is. Well, originally it was Linux-only. I don't know the status
of Unix compliance (not relevant here, this is Linux), but I note one of
the maintainers, Rusty Russell, is a well-known Linux guru with
particular credentials in the kernel.

> See:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/
Copyright (C) 1994-2000 Daniel Quinlan
Same chap I pointed you at.
> http://www.isu.edu/departments/comcom/unix/workshop/fstour.html
So? Linux isn't Unix, it's only very similar.

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/dirstructure.html
So? Linux isn't Unix, it's only very similar.

Read up on LSB 3.0 ch 16. It happens to refer to the link I gave earlier.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait