FC4 Slow System

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 29 17:52:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 18:31 +0100, Jeremy Thompson wrote:

> On 12/29/05, Bob Chiodini <rchiodin at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>         On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 17:43 +0100, Jeremy Thompson wrote:
>         > All,
>         >   Just built a Fedora System to act as a PVR.  But it is
>         running so
>         > slow.  Takes almost a minute to open a terminal
>         window.  It's a P4
>         > 2.4Ghz with a Gig of mem, so it should be a
>         problem.  Currently it's
>         > showing syslogd, and klogd each taking 20~24% of the CPU
>         cycle.  I
>         > haven't had this problem before so I can't tell if this is a
>         problem
>         > or not.
>         >
>         >   I tried searching google and the archives, but it didn't
>         help much.
>         > Most replies were to FC1&2 from years ago.
>         >
>         >   If someone could point me in the right direction I would
>         appreciate
>         > it.
>         >
>         >   Thank you,
>         >
>         > JT
>

>         JT,
>
>         Is anything getting logged?  Presumably syslogd and klogd are
>         doing
>         something.
>
>         Bob...
>

> Yeah,
>   That would be something to check.. I'm such a newb...
>
> checking on klogd, did the following -
> from
> /proc
> [root at mythtv proc]# cat kmsg
> <7>cx88[0]: irq pci [0x8000] ipb_dma_err*
>
> and checking
> /var/log
> [root at mythtv log]# cat messages
> Dec 29 18:28:50 mythtv kernel: : irq pci [0x8000] ipb_dma_err*
>
>   Of course these messages were spammed like crazy.
>
>   I am going to google these errors and search archives.  If you find
> anything of interest let me know, as I will reply to this if I find
> anything.
>
>   On a side note, thanks.  I have already learned a lot, I have never
> checked logs before... so I had to find them first!
>
> JT

JT,

As you probably have seen, there's not much from Google.  The
ipb_dma_err text is probably coming from the v4l or cx88 driver(s), as
that seems to be where the text is sourced.

I guess that cx88 is your frame buffer chipset.  I don't have the source
for the v4l modules handy, but for grins, what does cat /proc/interrupts
give you?  Shooting the dark here, maybe its an interrupt conflict.  You
could try moving your frame buffer card to another slot.

Does MythTV work in this state?

Bob...